Thriving or Surviving?
To thrive is to live to your full potential, with vitality and a sense of purpose, to grow and to flourish. Most would surely prefer to live their lives this way but instead we see evidence of people operating in survival mode all around us. Do you recognize any of the signs of life in survival mode: highly stressed, self-absorbed, reactive to situations, merely existing, consumed with anxiety, focused on a never enough (money, time, things) mentality…… It’s not just the holidays that send some into survival mode while others seem to thrive and flourish amidst the hustle and bustle. If you drew a line with survival mode on the far left and thriving on the far right, where on this continuum do you fall today, right here and right now? Clearly this point can and will vary day to day but here are 6 steps you can take to live each day closer to thriving.
6 Action Steps to Promote Thriving
- Start a gratitude journal and/or make it a habit every morning to state three things you are grateful for
- Spend some time thinking about how you want to feel rather than just about what you have to do; pursue more activities that support how you want to feel
- Make a vision board with images and quotes that inspire you and reflect your vision of a thriving life; refer to it daily
- Surround yourself with others who appear to be thriving and who support your efforts to live a full, positive, purposeful life
- Spend time in nature, meditate, reconnect with yourself and your spirit. Volunteering is one great way to find your sense of purpose; not sure where to start, visit volunteermatch.org to find opportunities near you.
- Make time for activities that nurture the health of your body, mind, and spirit and include: good quality food, restorative sleep, a healthy environment, time for play, supportive relationships, and the opportunity to live out the values and sense of purpose that guide your day-to-day life.
Thriving is not dependent on income level, material possessions, or other things that are so often sought after. Thriving is living your authentic life, with a sense of purpose, making choices that support the vitality of your body, mind, and spirit, and moving forward in the direction of exciting possibilities for your life.
Ready to take more positive action steps to move forward toward a state of thriving in body, mind, and spirit?? Contact me to schedule a free 30-minute discovery session and see what possibilities may arise for you. www.wellnessinreach.com/contact-me